Hi there! This Privacy Notice explains how I process information about the visitors to my blog. This is a WordPress.com blog and their company is called Automattic.
Who’s Who and What This Privacy Notice Covers
Automattic products and services are designed to allow bloggers like me to create, publish, and manage my own website. Of their available services, I use:
- WordPress.com which offers the design, features, and support to bring a website to life.
- Akismet helps keep spam under control by filtering out spam comments. Akismet protects against hacking too.
Information I Collect About Visitors to My Sites
Using WordPress, I collect information about visitors to Nicci Carrera in a few different ways. Certain information that the visitors provide to the Site is collected, and other information is collected automatically.
Information a Visitor Provides to a Site
Information that you, a visitor, provides directly to this Site primarily happens when you type into a text field like a comment field or a sign-up form. I don’t do surveys, so your information is collected by WordPress only if you Like a post or follow this blog through email. I don’t get to see your email information, but when you like my post, I can see your blog address.
Here are the most common ways in which a visitor directly provides information to a Site:
- Follower and Subscriber Information: When a visitor (you) signs up to follow or subscribe to a Site using WordPress.com, the sign-up information requested by the Site is collected; this typically includes an email address.
- Site Comments: When a visitor (you) leaves a comment on a Site, that comment is collected and other information that the visitor provides along with the comment, such as the visitor’s name and email address.
- Order and Shipment Information: I don’t sell books directly, so there is no order and shipment information.
- Other Information Entered on the Site: Wordpress may also collect other information that a visitor enters on the Site–such as a contact form submission, a search query, or Site registration.
Information Automatically Collected from the Site
Automaticc also automatically collects some information about visitors to a Site. The information automatically collected depends on which of their services the Site uses. We’ve listed examples below:
- Technical Data from a Visitor’s Computer and Etcetera: We collect the information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available about visitors to a Site, such as the IP address, browser type, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
- Visitor Interactions: We collect information about a visitor’s interactions with a Site, including the “likes” and “ratings” left by visitors to a Site using WordPress.com.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of a visitor’s device from the IP address. This is so I can see how many people visit my Site from certain geographic regions. If you’d like, you can read more about the Site Stats feature for WordPress.com sites.
- Akismet Commenter Information: This site collects information about visitors who comment on the Site because it uses Akismet anti-spam service. The information collected includes the commenter’s IP address, user agent, referrer, and Site URL (along with other information directly provided by the commenter such as their name, username, email address, and the comment itself).
How We Use Visitor Information
The information is used to prevent spamming on my site and for Google Analytics which enable me to see where people are geographically. Also the information collected lets me have a comment dialog with my site visitors.
WordPress may also use and share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify any individual. For instance, it may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our services.
This site may contain ads from third party ad networks and advertisers, and I may integrate other tools and services on my sites (such as Google Analytics and third party plugins). Please note that this Privacy Notice only covers the collection of information by Automattic, and does not cover the collection by any third party. However Nicci Carrera does not knowingly use any of these plug-ins.
Ad networks and analytics providers may set tracking technologies (like cookies) to collect information about visitors’ use of a Site and across other websites and online services, such as a visitor’s IP address, web browser, mobile network information, pages viewed, time spent on pages, links clicked, and conversion information. This information may be used by those companies to, among other things, analyze and track usage, determine the popularity of certain content, and deliver advertisements that may be more targeted to visitor interests. For more information about how to manage and delete cookies, visit aboutcookies.org, and for more information on interest-based ads, including information about how visitors may be able to opt out of having their web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit aboutads.info/choices (US based) and youronlinechoices.eu (EU based).