I’m shocked that I’m suddenly willing to reduce my library. I had hundreds of books, many inherited. But I’m ready. We decided to keep two large and one small book case. Books are still important to us but we are only going to keep a third of them.
I asked these questions as I went through the collection and it helped me make choices that I think in the long run will help me enjoy my books more because I won’t have any I don’t love and/or need. Or maybe I did love it but I won’t reread it. My husband made his choices similarly but a little differently.
- Will I read it or re-read it this year?
- Will I refer to it within the next year?
- Can I borrow it from the library?
- Is it a seminal book in a field like psychology, anthropology, history or philosophy? (This was my husband’s choice to keep because for me these didn’t pass 1, 2, & 3.)
- Is it an important novel (that I also like)?
- Is it one of my favorite books?
- Is it a duplicate?
- If I could keep just one book by an author or about a topic, which would it be?
- Bonus: Did I write it?